Invest Now to Adjust Status (H-1B/F-1/E-2/TN) and Receive Work Permit (EAD) and Travel Permit in as Fast as 90 Days

Can I travel outside the US for extended periods after I get my green card?

U.S. immigration law generally expects that Green Card holders will live in the United States permanently. EB-5 investors that are Conditional Permanent Residents (CPRs) or Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) can travel abroad freely, but extended absences may jeopardize their status. Brief travels typically don’t affect CPR or LPR status, but staying outside the U.S. for over a year might lead to the assumption that the U.S. is not the person’s permanent home, risking the loss of their permanent resident status. Factors such as maintaining U.S. family ties, employment, filing taxes as a resident, holding a U.S. mailing address, bank accounts, driver’s license, owning property, or running a business in the U.S. are all considered in determining the intent to reside permanently in the U.S.


A good rule of thumb is to try to stay in the U.S. for at least half of each year. Extended absences, particularly those over six months, may also disrupt the continuous residency requirement for naturalization.


For absences longer than a year, LPRs should obtain a reentry permit using Form I-131, which helps demonstrate the intent to live permanently in the U.S. upon return but doesn’t guarantee entry.


For this concernand all other immigration questions, Houston EB5 encourages you to talk to your immigration attorney.